• Suicide is the 9th ranking cause of death.
• More than 808 Arizona residents die each year by suicide.
• There is an average of 11 suicides every five days.
• Males make up 80 percent of suicides: Females make up 20 percent.
• More than 78 percent of suicides involve White Non-Hispanics. African –American’s make up 13 percent; Hispanic 2 percent; others 7 percent.
• Those aged 70 years or older make up the highest suicide rate of 17 percent.
• Average medical costs per case: $4,397.
• Average work-loss cost per case: $1,023,812.
• Nearly 3,000 people are hospitalized every year from attempted suicide; most are ages 15-19 years old.
• There is an average of 8 attempts of suicide every day.
• In 2007, suicide was the 11th leading cause of death in the United States.
• More than 11 people out of every 100,000 persons died by suicide.
• More than 34,500 people died of suicide that year.
• More people die from suicide than from homicide. Suicide deaths rank as the 11th leading cause/Homicide ranks 15th
• There was an average of 1 suicide every 15.2 minutes
• Suicide was the 3rd leading cause of death among 15-24 year olds. More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke and chronic lung disease combined. It was also the 3rd leading cause of death among children ages 10-14.
Statistics from Final Data for 2007, National Vital Statistics Reports, obtained May 2010